Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Something old, something new...

You might recall the original sketch I posted of this guy a long time ago:

Done way "back in the day" when I first started the turtles...I had to put him aside as my first Craft Show approached and I didn't have time to finish ALL of the turtle ideas. Here he his all festive and bright, coming to help you celebrate!

Besides trying to work on a couple more Love Turtles, this past week we celebrated my mom and one of my sisters' birthdays. In honor of my mom I started a birthday card doodle that turned out way better than expected. Here it is for you to see, but mom gets the original!


Notice how different it looks from the others. Only two things changed here, I used a different paper and overlayed the colors. All of the other turtles I'm using a vellum bristol which is very rough. I'm not pressing down hard and covering up the whole paper which gives it a textured look. This smooooooooth paper makes the pencil lines look completely different, adding some colors on top of each other made it come alive and I was very happy with how it turned out. This is a little closer to children's book illustration in my opinion. Every once in a while everything just works! So Happy Birthday to Mom and Cristi, I'm so glad to have you in my life.

1 comment:

  1. Wow.. how thoughtful of you to make them a card. Your drawings are very soft and gentle looking.. Lovely. Keep up the good job.

    Cheers~
    Rheea

    ReplyDelete